Sunday, June 17, 2018

MY FATHER


He taught me how to walk.
He taught me how to learn.
When I act like a gawk,
He guides me to stand firm.
He asks me to be a fierce hawk,
When I fear the storm may come.

He asks me to talk,
When my mind thrums like a drum.
He entertains me
To keep me away from life's humdrum.
He tries to give me the best,
Even on less income.

He boosts up my energy,
When I feel glum.
He never loses faith in me,
When for the world, I am a mere pond-scum.
He says," Just do the right and believe in yourself.
Your fears you will surely overcome."
For my entire self on this Earth till now,
This has been like a 'rule of thumb'.
He always stands by me,
When I so easily succumb
To the dreary forces and despair.
However, he also says he won't be always there,
To make me aware
Of what's true and fair.

So, I will have to be beware.
On my own, I will have to compare,
Make my choices and share,
So that I may not fall prey to some snare.

Oh! I am sorry it's none of you, dear friends.
It's only my father for me who transcends
All the people who were, are or will be in my life.
Respect for him within be always rife.

For it is because of him who I am 
And who I will be.
Even my thousand thanks to him
Will always be scanty.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------©Radhika Gupta(June16,2018)



2 comments: